Coronavirus is a family of viruses that cause respiratory infections. The new Coronavirus (COVID 19) was discovered on 12/31/2019 after reported cases in China. It is present in more than 100 locations around the world. THE World Health Organization (WHO) declared the outbreak to be a public health emergency of international importance.
The effects of this pandemic bring impacts to the market, since the spread from person to person, that is, contamination by respiratory droplets or contact, is taking place. In this way, measures were put in place to restrict agglomerations, reduced public transport, cancellation of events, as well as the closing of shops and establishments that offer services that are not considered essential. As a containment measure and to prevent the virus spread, the social isolation It was adopted. Thus, most companies started to work remotely with the practice of Home Office.
Given this scenario, some challenges arise in the Home Office. On the one hand, we have benefits in terms of health risks, as the professional does not need to leave home and face public transport, traffic and other common issues in large cities. On the other hand: it can be easier to lose focus with the distractions that we have at home as objects of leisure or rest. Another important aspect, in addition to physical health care, we must also take care of the mental healthas well as maintaining the emotional well-being.
Home Office: Productivity and focus
Home Office it is a new type of work in Brazil. The popularization of the internet and technological advances, allowed to open this new work front. At the remote work technological tools are used (such as Whatsapp, Skype, Teams, Zoom, e-mails, among other software and applications). With the sport gaining more and more repercussion in the media, due to the pandemic of the Coronavirus, many doubts arise on this topic, mainly in relation to maintaining productivity and focus on activities.
Some tips can be followed, as follows:
- Work schedule: Establish a work schedule, because with the possibility of starting at any time, it can be difficult to see the limit between the time dedicated to personal activities and the time for professional activities. To stay focused, we can ask ourselves, "If you were in the office, would you do this task during working hours?" If the answer is no, this activity can be performed before or after working hours;
- Create a schedule of tasks and activities: Establish a schedule of tasks and activities that need to be developed throughout the workday. This way, you will know exactly what you need to do and how long it will take. This can occur in a variety of ways, such as booking time for meetings, calls, as well as dedicating time for reading e-mails;
- Regular breaks: Take regular breaks. To demonstrate that they are productive at work at home, many believe that they should work non-stop. This is not true. Taking breaks at regular intervals can even improve productivity, as the moments of breaks have a “restorative” effect, where it is the opportunity for your brain to recover soon;
- Set limits: Set limits so that your professional life is not confused with your personal life. If you stop working at 6 pm, people should understand your limits and assume that you are no longer available and, therefore, have already ended their professional activities. Furthermore, it’s not just because you’re home officewho is off or available to chat, and your friends and family need to know that. Have a specific space to work at home, such as an office or bedroom where you can close the door to help in this division;
- Stay connected: A good internet connection is essential to ensure your productivity at home. If necessary, make a upgrade connection. With good internet, Whatsapp they are an option;
- Wear the right clothes: An important tip is to change clothes as if you were going to work. It is not necessary to wear a dress, but it is important to remove your pajamas, however comfortable it may be. The work home office it is a job and we must behave as such;
- Let your family know: A special care for those who do not live alone and have a family at home during working hours is to notify everyone that you are working. If possible, keep the door closed to focus better;
- Be careful with the information: Be careful with the information. Confidential matters of the company remain confidential and must be treated with great care at all times.
Care for mental health and emotional well-being
To control the proliferation of Coronavirus, there was a change in everyone's routine with the adoption of social isolation. We must be concerned with physical health, but without neglecting mental health and emotional well-being. Here are some tips for dealing with this moment:
- Stay a little away from the news: All day we received numerous news and news about the pandemic, such as the increase in cases, stores closing, among others. Take some time to disconnect. We need to ease our mind. So, the tip is: watch a movie, start a new series, read a book, do something that gives you a sense of well-being;
- Make video calls: There is nothing better than taking advantage of the moment of isolation to call that family member who has not talked to you for a while or the friend you always plan to meet, but this meeting never happens. Use technology to your advantage. At times like these, it is an excellent alternative for us to be connected with the people we love;
- Do exercises: Even with gyms closed and the recommendation to remain in isolation at home, there are several exercises that can be done at home. Today, there are several excellent training apps. Set aside at least 1 hour of your day to exercise and release endorphins. You will be more productive and you will feel much better in every way;
- Tranquility at work: To relieve tensions at work, how about taking advantage of working at home to put on a song that you like to play at low volume? This can relax and bring good vibes to deal with issues that can generate tensions and stresses;
- Good nutrition: Establish your lunch time. Prefer light and nutritious meals. If you live with your family, take this time to chat, interact and relax a little;
- Taking care of the family: Take advantage of this Home Office to have more time with parents, grandparents, spouses, children. Use lunch time, coffee breaks and that extra time that you don't waste in traffic anymore. Animals and plants are also family to many people;
- Do things you like: Take the opportunity to do something you like. It can be, for example, a movie, series, taking care of plants, reading, playing a musical instrument, among other activities that can be developed during this period;
- Sleep well: Sleeping well invigorates and recovers energy. So, when you are finished working, slow down and forget about professional tasks, to sleep well and wake up ready for another day of work;
- Patience and Empathy: Every change requires time to adapt and will make us face unexpected challenges. Stay calm if, in the first few days, work does not go as smoothly as you would like. Be patient with the people who live with you - your presence at home is also new to them;
- Think positive: Hope, because the storm will pass. This social isolation is something temporary that aims to take care of everyone's health and well-being.
With the advancement of the Coronavirus (COVID 19) containment measures to prevent the virus spread were adopted such as the social isolation, restriction to agglomerations, reduction of public transport, cancellation of public events, as well as the closing of shops and establishments that offer services that are not considered essential. In view of this scenario, most companies started to work remotely with the practice of Home Office. Given this scenario, some challenges arise in the Home Office how to lose focus with the distractions we have at home as objects of leisure or rest, in addition to mental healthas well as maintaining the emotional well-being.
We need to adapt to this new moment, as well as take measures to maintain focus and productivity in remote work. Defining work hours, schedule of activities and tasks that need to be developed throughout the day is essential, as discipline can help to stay focused and achieve the objectives of the work. The home environment can bring a series of distractions with objects of leisure or rest. This way, when defining the work limits, you will know when to fit this type of distraction into your routine. Another important factor is taking care of mental health and emotional well-being. In that period of social isolation we may have feelings of anxiety, anguish and fear due to the uncertain and unpredictable moment in relation to the advance of the Coronavirus. We must take care of our mind with positive thoughts, patience and empathy and above all discernment that this storm will pass and the main objective is to take care of the Cheers It's from welfare of all.
* Rodrigo Dantas is GRC and Information Security Consultant at [SAFEWAY]
THE SAFEWAY is an Information Security company, recognized by its customers for offering high added value solutions, through Information Security projects that fully meet business needs. In these years of experience, we have accumulated, with great pride, several successful projects that have earned us credibility and prominence in our clients, which constitute in large part, the 100 largest companies in Brazil.
Today through more than 17 strategic partnerships with global manufacturers and our SOC, SAFEWAY is considered a one stop shopping with the best technology solutions, processes and people.
Let's make the world a safer place to live and do business!